The best skin-care products are the ones tailored to your skin type and skin goals. Two people with different skin concerns are going to favor different products that offer different results, and comparing the two would be like comparing apples to oranges. Someone with dry skin might find a moisturizer that’s great for them, while that same moisturizer might not be the right one for someone with oily skin. So how do you find the best skin-care products for your skin?
Ultimately you just have to keep trying products until you find ones that give you the results you want. By trying different products, you’ll get to know your skin better—what ingredients actually improve your skin and what ingredients your skin can do without. And if you already have a skin-care routine but you’re wondering if there are better products out there, you’ve come to the right place. Scroll down to learn more about the best skin-care products recommended by expert dermatologists. If you’re new to skin care and looking for the best products to try first, here’s a quick guide to getting started before we jump into the best products recommended by SELF.
Where do I start with skin care?
Skin care is a vast and confusing category, with thousands of products clogging your feed and clamoring to get your attention. Dr. Marisa Garshick suggests starting slow, testing products one at a time to see how your skin reacts. “To build a skin-care routine, it is best to incorporate one new product at a time and to keep things simple,” explains Dr. Garshick. “Adding too many products at the same time can lead to potential irritation and sensitivity of the skin.”
Before you add a bunch of new products to your cart, you’ll want to assess your skin type and the results you’re hoping to achieve with skin-care products. The editors at SELF have put together a comprehensive guide to skin care plus a skin-care glossary to answer all the questions you may have about embarking on this new journey, along with resources and recommendations. It’s a great beginner’s resource to help you understand what certain ingredients can do for your skin and how to address specific skin conditions.
What is a good basic skin-care routine?
Skin care can certainly get complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. All you need to make a good skin-care routine are a few simple products to keep your skin healthy and balanced. Once you’ve got that down, you can start experimenting with specialized products designed to target specific skin conditions. “Building a skin-care routine is all about sticking to the basics and then adding other ingredients based on the need, such as acne, acne scarring, melasma, excessive sun spots, eyelid crepiness, neck aging, large pores, dryness, et cetera.” says board-certified dermatologist Dr. Sheila Farhang.
A good basic skin-care routine is one that doesn’t irritate your skin and one that you can commit to doing at least once per day. A decent rule of thumb: skin care should never hurt. When you’re evaluating what products to incorporate into your routine, listen to your skin and look for signs of stress or inflammation. “A product that is right for your skin shouldn’t sting or burn when applied,” says Dr. Garshick. “Additionally, there are key things to look out for depending on your skin type. For example, if you are acne-prone or oily, it is best to find a product that is non-comedogenic or oil-free, while if you are dry or sensitive, it is best to opt for a product that will help to nourish the skin and won’t cause irritation.”
A super-concentrated, high-tech melting serum, that visibly reduces lines—and even deep, stubborn wrinkles—in just 7 days*.
Visibly reduces deep wrinkles and restores youthful radiance.
- Cleanse: Start your skin care routine with our Vitamin C Cleanser. Made with Green Tea, Chamomile and Sugar Cane, this face cleanser defends the skin while Coconut Water and Aloe Vera provide hydration.
- Tone: After cleansing, spritz our Vitamin C Toner all over the face. Our toner contains Vitamin C, Witch Hazel and botanical extracts to renew the skin by fighting environmental aggressors and brightening the appearance of skin tone.
- Nourish: Once the skin is prepped, apply our Vitamin C Serum to the face. To enhance the benefits of Vitamin C, our serum also includes Ferulic Acid to defend against damage and Hyaluronic Acid and Sea Buckthorn Oil to support the skin’s barrier.
- Moisturize: As the last step in your skin care routine, apply our Vitamin C Moisturizer. Vitamin C is enhanced with Niacinamide, Hyaluronic Acid and plant extracts to soften the appearance of lines and wrinkles while brightening overall skin tone.
- THE ORIGINAL ACNE KIT THAT STARTED A SKINCARE REVOLUTION – Designed specifically for acne-prone skin, Proactiv Solution delivers finely-milled benzoyl peroxide deep into your pores to help stop acne-causing bacteria in its tracks and prevent new breakouts from forming.
- YOU NEED MORE THAN A PIMPLE CREAM – Proactiv Solution is a powerful, comprehensive acne treatment system that goes deep into your pores, removes impurities and helps prevent future flare ups.
- YOUR SKIN ROUTINE, MADE EASY – Just 3 steps a day gets you on your way to clear, radiant skin.
- ACIAL-CARE KIT: Experience radiant skin with The Method Intro Kit! Each step in this facial-care kit helps your skin appear brighter, more hydrated, and smoother. This daily skincare kit also helps reduce signs of aging like lines and wrinkles.
- GENTLE FACE CLEANSER KIT: This 3-step kit helps support your skin’s natural regenerative cycle. By exfoliating, cleansing, and moisturizing the skin, this face regimen helps promote cell turnover and natural collagen regeneration for visibly younger skin.
- What’s included: Facial Cleanser, Exfoliating Scrub, AM Moisturizer (SPF20), PM Moisturizer & Eye Cream – all in a 30 day supply
- Take the Guesswork Out of Men’s Skin Care – Inclues Simplified Usage Guide
- High-quality products in a simple regimen designed to work together to protect and repair your face and Enhance Your Handsome.